RV Hacks – Exploring the country using an RV comes with all sorts of challenges. These challenges are mainly caused by the lack of things that people can bring on their trips. Some essential items that cannot be present in the RV can cause problems. Therefore, people who travel with their RVs should overcome these challenges to be able to have a fantastic RV travel experience.
One of the most common challenges of RV-living is space constraints. Space constraints are not impossible to solve if you know what you should or should not do. The main reason this article is written is to let you have the minimum number of things with the maximum amount of functions. Not only talk about space organizing, but this article will also give you insightful hacks and techniques to help your activities during the RV journey. With some helpful tips and hacks that we present here, anyone can become a road trip expert.
How do you store things in an RV?
Being efficient and organized is the primary key in space-saving. Not only do you have to fit every important thing that you bring, but you also need to put them in easy-to-reach spots. You need to make sure every storage spot is efficiently filled. Moreover, packing collapsible kitchenware instead of the standard ones can also benefit you. If there is no more storage left, you can start using hanging organizers to attach to your RV cabinet doors.
Utilizing wall space is also an excellent idea. RV walls offer storage potential that you can benefit from. Hanging pocket organizers or magazine racks can free up space in your drawers and cabinets. However, you need to be careful when putting many items on the wall since it can make the RV interior feel cramped. It can also make you feel uncomfortable and claustrophobic inside your RV.
Our Recommendation Items
- Oak veneer shelves with new age, deep brown powder-coated metal
- Two fixed shelves
- Four double hooked Coat rings
- ⚡ PASTA CONTAINERS - Savour your fresh pasta using the finest Biokips set of 2 pasta containers....
- ⚡ AIRTIGHT - Biokips locking lid is designed with robust construction, that will safeguard your...
- ⚡ HEAT RESISTANT - Made of one the most versatile, eco-friendly types of plastic. PP...
- 6 Large pockets hanging storage over the door
- Large clear window see through what are stored inside
- Hangs on standard door or closet rod, no hardware needed
- Monitor Riser / Stand for printer, computer, laptop, notebook.
- Sturdy Metal Construction with Elegant Silver Coating
- Raises your monitor to a comfortable viewing height. Reduce neck and eye Strain
How do I maximize my RV space?
Struggling to fit all your belongings in an RV is common. You can either choose to reduce the number of items or to maximize every square footage available in the RV. If you prefer the second option, here are our space-maximizing tips for you.
Related : RV Upgrade Ideas
1. Choose camping-specific stuff
You can start the space-saving process by using the items that are designed for camping. These items are made to be space-efficient, and they often provide multiple uses. Without a doubt, using them is an excellent start to maximize your RV space.
2. Make sure every item has a specific place
Small spaces get cluttered quickly. So, it’s better to know where everything is located in the RV. Not only it makes cleanup more relaxed, but it’s also useful to keep track of your belongings. You will easily spot certain items that are missing from their place.
- COMPLETE SQUARE SPICE BOTTLES SET» 24 Square Empty Glass Spice Jars, 24 Shaker Lids, 24 Metal Caps...
- HIGH-QUALITY JARS » Aozita Spice Jars are made from high-quality Lead-Free durable glass. Clear...
- PREMIUM ACCESSORY » Exclusive sift and pour shaker lids matching metal airtight caps which means...
3. Utilize the space under the bed
The space below the RV bed usually becomes underutilized. Performing a little modification to the bed frame can benefit you. You can install, for example, some drawers or small cabinets if the bed is tall enough to provide more storage.
- MAKE MORE ROOM - stores a good amount of shoes, up to 12 pairs. Durable enough to use everyday. Fits...
- 30''x24.5''x5.3'' & FITS ALL SHOES - adjustable compartments fit different shoe sizes, whether it's...
- TIDY UP - organize your closet and stop sifting through shoe boxes, or get a hold of all your kid's...
4. Use dividers inside the drawers
Using dividers in the drawers is excellent to prevent messiness and to maximize the drawer space. They can help you to properly use the space and help you to take any items quickly. Moreover, the cooking utensils and silverware will stay in place better when you use organizers.
- INSTANT ORGANIZATION: Store and organize socks, women's leggings, sports bras, yoga pants, lingerie,...
- EXPANDABLE & ADJUSTABLE: Simply lift the lever, place in drawer, adjust to fit, and lock in place;...
- FUNCTIONAL & VERSATILE: Organize bedroom dresser drawers and nightstands in children, tween, teen...
5. Organize the RV basement
The RV basement can also get modifications to make the most of the space. These modifications can be as simple as adding tapes or clips to the basement ceiling and getting dividers for certain items. When you organize them well, you can have extra space for other things that do not make it inside the RV.
RV Organization Hacks
Besides knowing how to store them efficiently, you also need some inspiration to organize your stuff in your RV smartly. To help you find the ideas to maximize certain areas of your RV, we divided our favorite RV organization hacks into four categories. Feel free to try some of them.
Related : RV Makeovers
1. RV kitchen hacks
RV kitchen gets cluttered easily. To prevent it from happening, we need to perform some space-saving hacks in this area. Here are some of our favorite RV kitchen hacks.
Hanging stainless-steel basket
Hanging organizers are perfect for maximizing the cabinet space. It can utilize the space left behind the cabinet door. Without a doubt, using this as a wastebasket is better than using the standard plastic wastebasket. They stay in place better than the standalone wastebasket.
- ★Folding Space Saving Trash Can: Collapsible and Foldable design extremely save space. When you...
- ★Large Capacity Trash Basket: Just the right size cabinet waste bin, Dimension: 9.9 * 5.7 * 11.2...
- ★Durable Material Kitchen Waste Bin: it is made from premium plastic and elastic rubber, non-toxic...
Installing some hooks or hangers below the overhead cabinets is not a bad idea. Not only it adds extra storage space, but it also makes the cooking utensils and kitchenware easier to take. It can also possibly free up a lot of space from the cabinets.
- ➡MATERIAL: Made of high quality aluminum, finished with electrodeposited coatings, making this...
- ➡STYLISH AND SPACE SAVING: Wall mounted coat racks take advantage of the unused wall space of your...
- ➡MULTIPURPOSE: This kitchen utensil rack can be used for hanging various items such as spoons,...
Wall knife holder
Empty walls in an RV offer many possibilities. Using them as storage can benefit you a lot. A hanging knife holder is a great way to utilize an empty wall. Besides, putting the knives in a knife holder is safer than putting them in a drawer.
- ★ MODERN INNOVATIONS MAGNETIC KNIFE BAR: This modern magnetic knife bar is made from strong...
- ★ HEAVY-DUTY & MODERN DESIGN: This magnetic knife rack has a fully magnetic surface powered by a...
- ★ ORGANIZE IT ALL: This magnetic strip has an extended length that allows you to hold more knives...
Inside-the-cabinet cooking utensil hanger
Small kitchenware tends to easily fall when hung on a hook organizer below an overhead cabinet. Therefore, having extra hooks installed behind the cabinet door might solve that problem. Cooking utensils like spatulas will stay in place better here.
- Size: 10"×2"×4" , fits interior door up to 3/4".
- Easy to Install: No nail, no adhesive, hang on the cabinet door directly, and also can change...
- Multipurpose: Suitable for kitchen, bathroom, tool room, bedroom, office to be used for gathering...
A fruit hammock is an excellent alternative to a fruit bowl. A fruit bowl might fall and break in a moving RV. Contrarily, a fruit hammock will stabilize and keep the stored fruit safe. This is a simple yet useful hack to free up some space from the fridge.
- High capacity net hand washes easily with mild soap
- Made of natural beech wood
- Complete air circulation allows fruit to breathe and encourages better ripening and less spoiling
2. RV bedroom hacks
Bedroom space is another part of an RV that needs to be efficiently managed. Without the correct organization technique, an RV bedroom can become a mess easily. Here are our top picks for RV bedroom hacks.
Velcro remote keeper
Watching TV in an RV is entertaining, but it can be frustrating whenever the remote cannot be found. But don’t worry, a simple Velcro fastener offers a solution. By gluing it to a dry surface and the remotes, the fastener will keep the remotes safe. It’s a cheap, easy, and handy hack to do.
- Material: Oxford cloth and leather. Size: 12.99*17.52 inches.
- 3 main compartments mesh pockets and 1 Large Pocket (A4 Size). Inserting board is designed for...
- Strong bearing force, Keeping your reading materials and other personal gear right by your side...
Quick drop station
This feature will help RV campers to store small yet essential things. The idea is similar to the kitchenware hooks that we presented. Small things like keys, glasses, or even watches often become hard to find when laying around in RV. Therefore, these types of stuff require a special place like this quick drop zone.
- DUAL SURFACE, MULTI PURPOSE: Bulletboard’s unique patented design has a perforated metal surface...
- CONTEMPORARY DESIGN: This contemporary twist on the classic cork board bulletin board brings a sleek...
- READY TO USE: Bulletboard comes complete with concealed mounting hardware, 12 push pins, and 12...
Under-bed counter space drawer
This space hack might be a little hard to pull off, but it will be a handy feature to have in an RV bedroom. A counter space beside the bed can be a great place to put the laptop and even having breakfast. It’s a great way to utilize the area under the bed thoroughly.
Wall net storage
Similar to a fruit hammock, a bigger net can also be used to provide more storage in an RV bedroom. Attaching it to a wall can turn the wall into a more useful space. The net will keep stuff that takes up plenty of storage and keep them safe while on the road.
- ★ TOP RATED ORGANIZER for stuffed animals, pet plush toys, dolls, balls, blankets, emoji pillows,...
- ★ Hammock measures 70 x 46 x 46 inches when stretched & requires min 31 inches of corner space on...
- ★ Woven polyester mesh and durable elastic border make it very stretchy. Don't be deceived, as...
3. RV bathroom hacks
Compared to a household bathroom, an RV bathroom is small. It can feel even smaller when you bring many people on the trip because they will have their own bathroom items. Here are our favorite RV bathroom hacks for organizing the bathroom items.
1. Mounted Open Shelves
Installing this type of rack in an RV bathroom will save storage. Not only it can be used to put dry towels, but it can also be used to dry wet towels and hang clothes at the bottom part. It offers multiple purposes and doesn’t require much space.
- 【Attractive Storage Shelves】: Reorganize your home and free countertops from clutter with these...
- 【Suitable for Any Contemporary Space】: Designed with torched finish wood and industrial metal...
- 【Sturdier and Easy to Install】: Large: 16.5×6×4.8 inches; Medium: 14.2×6×4.8 inches; Small:...
Bath item clip hanger
The liquid items, such as face soaps, will be much more fun to use this way. It’s easier to reach than putting them in a cabinet. More importantly, it doesn’t require much space compared to a cabinet. It can be placed along with the shower curtain.
- GREAT MATERIAL - Decorative and made of premium metal finished with a durable plating for long...
- Size: Eyelet Curtain ring inner diameter 32mm/1.26inch, outer diameter 38mm/1.5inch. The clip size...
- Package includes: This set includes 40pcs curtain rings with clips.Net curtain rings.Hopefully it...
Hanging bath item organizer
Similar to the clip hanger, this one can also be put along with the shower curtain. Not only it serves as extra storage, but it can also be used as a curtain. It’s a must-have item for small bathrooms like the ones in an RV.
- 8 Different sized pocket shower storage bag, Keep all your bathroom accessories organized;
- Our shower storage caddy with Swivel metal hanger for easy to hang under shower head or curtain rod;
- Include 2 large but deep enough pouches to hold 340oz/1000ml shampoo, razors. 3 Medium pouches for...
Hanging bath item organizer
Organizing the bathroom items according to the owner or the type of the item is quite crucial. It helps every item to be found quickly and makes the bathroom neater. These hanging organizers are one easy-to-make example.
- ✔ SAVE MORE SPACE! Are you tried of the mess in the bathroom? Choose our Shower Curtain...
- ✔ STRONG RING LOADING WEIGHT 25LB Why settle with hook or suction up that will fall down just...
- ✔ DOUBLE SIDE STORAGE MESH BAG: you do not want the mesh bag will will have a big hole after...
Cabinet storage pods
These storage pods will prevent small items from dropping and becoming a mess inside the cabinet. However, the attachment should be strong enough to hold the items. Every RV bathroom cabinet should have at least a few of these installed to be fully maximized.
- SPACIOUS 5-compartment organizer is proudly made in USA
- Large compartments are VERSATILE for beauty products, craft supplies, and kitchen items
- 10-inch by 7-inch size is JUST RIGHT for the bathroom, kitchen, and classroom
4. RV basement hacks
RV campers often don’t give enough attention to their basement space. In fact, similar to other parts of an RV, the basement also needs to be managed efficiently. With proper management, the basement can fit more than it did before. Here are our recommendations.
Keeping tools in their box, or better, putting them in the toolbox is an important thing to do. This might seem simple, but people often ignored it. Toolkit ensures safety and makes the tools more organized.
- Contains the tools needed for most small repairs around the house
- Heat treated and chrome plated to resist corrosion
- Securely housed in a handy blow molded case
A pull out mechanics might be a hard feature to add. But, if there are time and money, it’s a worthy upgrade to do. It makes storing and moving things more comfortable. Also, it makes the RV seems more modernly advanced.
- Robust structural foam box with huge interior space
- Inner vertical storage for hand tools and removable tray for hand tools
- Side latches allow stacking modules one on top of the other
RV campers usually bring a hose on their trips. Instead of putting it in the basement, hanging it at the basement door is a great alternative to provide more storage. You only need to attach a metal hook at the back of the door, and it’s all set.
- Quality Material - Our garden hose holder is made of consolidated ABS material, durable, rust-free....
- Effective - This hose hanger wall mount holds your hose well and eliminates crimps, kinks and...
- No Assembly Required - Easy to use, no assembly required. Hold by hand design makes it easy to hold...
Adding a lighting function in the basement makes the organization process painless. The lighting can also help to find specific areas in the basement that can still be maximized. It makes RV journeys joyful, even at night.
- ✔ US STANDARD - Injection-molded, flame-retardant and high impact thermoplastic housing. This led...
- ✔ EASY INSTALLATION IN MINUTES - Can be wall or ceiling mounted, universal J-box mounting pattern....
- ✔ INTENSE PRESENCE - Hykolity's emergency lights use long-lasting, efficient ultra bright white...
A simple cable wrap can make all the difference. Having one for every cable in the basement can prevent them from tangling with each other. Moreover, the cables will be effortless to organize.
- 50 PCS cable ties in package
- Great for computer, appliance, and electronics wire management and is reusable,Great for cable or...
- Ideal for keeping all kinds of cords cables well organized and tidy in place
5. RV Camping Hacks
To have the best camping experience, you need to make sure that you only bring useful items to the RV. Some of these camping hacks below will help you to organize things better, and the others will help you to do activities efficiently.
Branched water tap
Sometimes RV campers need to use the water at the same time. It can be for washing dishes or cooking food. Therefore, having the water flow divided from the tap can be a big help. It’s a painless upgrade to a standard water tap to save time.
- Country of Origin : China
- The Package Height of the Product is 3.0 inches
- The Package Length of the Product is 15.6 inches
Multi-level portable storage
- DIMENSIONS: 23.5 in. H x 22.1 in. W x 11.3 in. D
- DURABLE AND STRONG: Weather-resistant polypropylene construction prevents rusting, peeling, and...
- LOCKING: Features a central locking system so each drawer stays secure before, during and after use
This type of portable storage is excellent for having a small picnic outside the RV. Many picnic items can be stored in one place. There is no need to bring the items one by one from the RV. Its sturdy material will also protect the items well.
DIY camping lantern
This is one of the best camper tips we found. Instead of bringing a lantern to the RV, a headlight can also serve as a lantern. It’s smaller and provides more use. When not in use, you can shine a bottled water with the headlight to turn it into a lantern. Also, feel free to use different liquids to experiment with its brightness and color.
This storage organizer is an excellent combination to the portable storage. It offers a solution to messy storage that contains small items, such as batteries, medicines, and spices. Briefly, it makes the storage space neater and more efficient.
- Portability, Connect ability, Versatility, Visibility
- Cantilever configuration for access to each level alone or to both levels together
- Customizable with removable cups and customizable dividers
DIY water dispenser
Don’t throw away the big and empty bottle, because it can still be useful for camping activities. Install a faucet head to turn it into a water dispenser. You can use the dispenser to wash your hands or face when you are outside the RV.
Related : Pop Up Camper Ideas
Overall, there are so many things that we can do to make RV journeys fun and painless. One of them is doing things that can maximize the available space. Additionally, trying only to choose the items that provide more than one function can also be helpful. There are still plenty of RV tips and tricks available out there. However, the primary key to RV hacks is that you need to think creatively to use your daily stuff smartly.