RV Storage Ideas – A recreational vehicle, or often abbreviated as RV, is a bus-like vehicle that includes living quarters for temporary accommodation. People often use it for road trips and traveling. There are several types of RVs. They include motorhomes, caravans, campervans, fifth-wheel trailers, truck campers, and pop up campers. Although most people use an RV as temporary accommodation, some people use it as their primary residence. These people will continuously move according to the climate.
As a mobile living space, RVs usually have typical amenities that we find in houses, such as beds, kitchen, and bathroom. However, because of its space limitations compared to a home, those amenities are usually smaller. However, the items to complement those amenities cannot be made smaller. Therefore, the right storage solution is needed to place these items.
An RV is very different than your day-to-day vehicles. You also need to bring all kinds of different stuff for various activities. Apart from the essential items like cooking equipment, clothes, and beds, you should also make rooms for recreational items. These recreational items include things like grills, bicycles, or even kayaks. They need to be stored properly so that every inch of space in the RV is efficiently used. With that in mind, we write this article to provide some space-saving ideas for you to make your RV cozier.
Our Recommendation List
- 🍀Hanging Cabinet Trash Can: This trash can can be perfectly hung on your cabinet door, Drawer,...
- 🍀Unique Folding Trash Bin:The kitchen foldable garbage bin will not occupy the precious space in...
- 🍀Large Capacity + High Quality: Just the right size cabinet waste bin, it is made from premium...
- BPA Free & dishwahser safe
- Snap in drainer board for convenient use
- Simply pop-up to open when using and collapses to flat for space saving with Expanded size: 14.6 x...
- 【Dimensions】 The organizer measures 11.4'' W x 11.8'' D X 23.7'' H. Each unit is 11.4'' W x...
- 【Material】 Made of high-quality oxford cloth fabric which is soft, non-irritant and breathable....
- 【Design】 2 sturdy rods and 2 durable metal-hooks are designed on top of the product for secure...
- 【Simple】Very easy to install, make your home look more classy
- 【Materals】Made of eco-friendly ABS plastic, Shoes Rack with 3M VHB Tape
- 【Quantity】SM02 Rack 4pcs with sticky mounts
- Damage free hanging
- Weight capacity: 4 pounds
- Holds brooms with 0.8 Inches 1.0 Inches diameter handles
Why you need RV storage?
Like a house, the room in an RV is not exactly abundant. Compared to a home, an RV has a very minimal space that we can use. Many RV owners struggle to fit all the equipment that they want to take on their road trips. Although most RVs already did a great job in making the most of their space, there’s always room for improvement to maximize the available space even more.
When it comes to RV space organization, storage becomes an essential part. It might not seem much, but the proper storage arrangement can make a difference. Because even the coziest RV can feel narrow and claustrophobic when different stuff is spewing out all over the place. To ensure you to get amazing experiences on your road trips, you should start to pay attention to the small things like storage space organization.
Related : RV Cabinets Ideas
Tips to make RV storage
Having a road trip with your RV feels like bringing your house everywhere. And, storing all the necessary items in an RV is much more challenging than in a home. To help you with RV organization ideas, here are our top RV storage tips that you can do to use the available storage of your RV properly.
1. Write down what you have
The first step to take before storing your items is to make a list. A list can keep everything under control. By making a list, you can see if there are any unnecessary items that you can remove or substitute. Moreover, making a list can also help you review the space usage before even storing them, so you can target specific areas that need to be maximized. Lastly, making a list allows you to keep track of your belongings to avoid losing them.
Prioritize what you need
Once you make a list, you can now decide your priority. In this part, you need to be honest with yourself and the ones that you’re going to be traveling with. Show them the list of all the items and start to make it as short as possible. Keep the important things, and eliminate the useless ones from the list. For example, avoid bringing extra dishes and cups to the RV trips. They might seem helpful, but they take up a lot of space.
Make space for everything
After eliminating the useless items, you can start deciding the place for each item. You need to cooperate with your travel buddies to make this easier. Because not all parts of the RV will get the same amount of items in them. For example, the bathroom items won’t be as many as the items in the kitchen. Therefore, you might need to maximize the less utilized area to store the items evenly.
Throw out the old, keep the new
Now, this step is necessary to keep your RV storage neat for the long-term. People might call it “One in, one out policy.” As it sounds, this step requires you to toss out the old items when the new ones come in. For example, if you bought a new towel and decided to bring them on your road trip, you can toss out the old one. This might sound simple, but most people don’t understand how important and useful this simple act is.
Utilize extra space
Extra storage is always possible in an RV. But, you should not always use them in advance. Use it only if you really need them. Additional storage can be inside of the car, the roof, or the rear of your RV. You can consider storing the items that might disturb your activities inside the RV, such as surfboards and bicycles, in those extra spaces.
RV Storage Design Ideas
Once you understand how vital an RV storage is and how can you maximize them, now you need some ideas to inspire you in creating the ideal RV storage design. We’ve already categorized our favorite RV storage designs into four different categories below.
1. RV kitchen storage Ideas
Kitchen storage is an essential part of an RV kitchen to keep things neat. Without a place to store cooking appliances, utensils, and all kinds of food and spices, the RV kitchen would be a mess every time the road gets bumpy. Here are our RV kitchen storage ideas for you to choose from.
- Eight wire holders are fully adjustable on the stand, allowing you to store sandwich bag boxes up to...
- Consolidate your clunky foil, wrap and bag boxes by storing them in vertical fashion. The...
- No tools or installation required. Simply adjust the wire holders to fit your boxes and your rack is...
- Stackable design: get multiple sets and stack them together in a second
- Store up to 36 can or variety size can/jars
- Six adjustable plastic dividers get different size can, jars, Beverage can aligned and organized
- Set of 3 collapsible storage bowls with clear lids; perfect for preparing or storing foods
- Set includes 1.5 Cup with red bowl, 3 cup with blue bowl, and 5 cup with green bowl
- Leak resistant clear lids fit snugly and reduce the chance of spills
- BPA Free & dishwahser safe
- Simply pop-up to open when using and collapses to flat for space saving with Expanded
- Separate area for silverware, utensils, and other gadgets for more organized drying - 4 compartments...
Related : RV Hacks Ideas
Modern RV Kitchen Storage
The combinations of white paint, metallic features, and glossy grey paint on this kitchen storage are remarkable. It accentuates the modern vibe of the interior. The rest of the room not only blends with the theme but also balances the tone very well.
- x Large size for 25% more storage than Top organizers
- Removable bins for playtime and cleanup.
- Includes 12 standard size open storage plastic bins and 4 double Size open storage plastic bins
Trendy RV kitchen storage
This storage design might not come from an RV kitchen, but it doesn’t mean that we can’t apply it. The use of a medium green tone can exude a warm feeling and create a positive mood. Moreover, combining it with contrasting colors such as white and stainless-steel appliances can enhance the effect.
- MORE THAN WAFFLES: Make paninis, hash browns, and even biscuit pizzas! Any wet batter will...
- COMPACT + LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighing 1lb+, this is a MUST-HAVE for that first apartment, smaller kitchen,...
- QUICK + EASY: Simply plug it in and go; it heats up in mere minutes. The dual non-stick surfaces...
Eclectic RV kitchen storage
The basic white color of this storage blends well with the interior. It makes the kitchen effortlessly looks clean. Furthermore, the glass panels on the cabinet doors help to see what’s inside without the need to open it.
- Double Cereal Dispenser, Black
- Each plastic container holds up to 17.5 ounces
- Dispenses standard size portions easily; 1 ounce per twist
Vintage RV kitchen storage
This kitchen storage is perfect for vintage style lovers. It perfectly combines the green color of the storage and the limestone backsplash. Also, the upward hinges on top side cabinets help the content of the storage to stay in place better using gravity.
Teak style RV kitchen storage
For people who love the natural vibe created by teak style furniture, this is the most viable option. The plenty number of drawers below the countertop is excellent for organizing things better. Also, the seamless design of the door makes the storage mix easily with any of the current interior designs.
2. RV bathroom storage Ideas
Same as the RV kitchen, an RV bathroom also needs to be carefully managed. It’s slightly different than the household bathroom because you can’t place the bathroom items wherever you want. Bumpy roads can also scatter them easily when there is not any storage to keep things orderly. Here are our RV bathroom storage recommendations.
- Damage free hanging
- Weight capacity: 6 pounds
- Size: large
- 4 Large pockets hanging storage over the door
- Large clear window see through what are stored inside
- Hangs on standard door or closet rod, no hardware needed
- Narrow over the door shoe rack pack with 2 pieces and 4 hooks,13.7 inch * 30" inch
- The hanging shoe organizer pockets made of clear mesh fabric and makes it easy to see what's inside
- Over the door shoe organizer pouch pockets are very sturdy and large enough, behind the door shoe...
- Toilet paper holder stand, excellent for paper towels storage ; Toilet paper bulk cabinet for...
- Modern bathroom furniture great for small spaces,easy to move or carry outside; Storage unit with...
- Top panel open to replacing the roll paper, the top compartment great for holding a cell phone or a...
Minimalist pocket-style RV bathroom storage
This bathroom storage utilizes the empty space of the bathroom door very well. It’s easy to make and offers plenty of extra space. However, this storage should not be near the shower, since it can be filled with water.
- Oversized Design:Up to 68 inches size,It can store all your beauty products,toiletries,bath products...
- Thoughtful Storage Design:17 breathable mesh bags,4 crystal clear PVC storage bags,Especially 11...
- Quickly Dry Material:Breathable mesh bag and back entire piece transparent PVC design,can separate...
Minimalist metal basket RV bathroom storage
This bathroom offers not only extra storage but also durability. It’s quite easy to make, and with the right material, it will stay in good shape for a long time. Additionally, it’s easy to customize.
- UTILIZE DEAD SPACE: Use open space within cabinets for storage! Keep cleaning supplies, washcloths...
- AVOID INSTALLATION: Add extra storage without all the hardware. Padded brackets slide easily over...
- VIEW ITEMS INSIDE WITH OPEN DESIGN: Open wire design allows you to see what’s inside the basket,...
Cup hanger RV bathroom storage
The cup holder style is the perfect storage solution for the cabinet door. Because the items at the outer side of the cabinet tend to fall easily. Additionally, since it’s inside the cabinet, it won’t ruin the design of the bathroom.
Under-the-sink RV bathroom storage
This RV bathroom storage is the right solution for the unutilized space below the sink. The door-less design is an excellent option for people who thinks that functionality trumps aesthetics. It’s simple but efficient.
- The madesmart Two Tier Organizer is a multipurpose storage system to use in your kitchen cabinets,...
- The bin configuration let's you arrange and organize your entire home with ease while the dividers...
- Made from high-quality materials
Magnetic RV bathroom storage
Although it might not be suitable for many kinds of items, it’s worth a look. A magnetic panel offers storage without harming the aesthetics of the room. Some cosmetics with the metallic material on the container can utilize this storage design.
- 【Large Capacity Storage】Magnetic kitchen rack creates extra space. its two foldable shelves can...
- 【2pcs Wooden Holder】Magnetic paper towel holder made by moisture-proof rubberwood, perfect for...
- 【Easy to Install Without Tools】Magnetic organizer rack can be directly applied to the...
3. RV shoe storage ideas
One pair of shoes might not be much, but if you’re traveling with many people, the shoes can be a mess if not stored properly. Messy shoe organization can take up much of your living area inside the RV. Here are our top picks for RV shoe storage ideas.
- 【Fit For】: Men’s 9/ Women’s 10. The dimension of these stackable shoe boxes is...
- 【Drop Front Clear Door】: The drop front design, just put your fingers in the small hole on the...
- 【Dust Free】: This foldable and stackable shoe box can effectively prevent dust from entering the...
- SIMPLE SHOE STORAGE SOLUTION – Shoe racks are nice, but they can only fit so many pairs of shoes....
- SET OF 2 EACH SHOE ORGANIZER FITS UP TO 12 PAIRS – Most women and even guys have a ridiculous...
- PREMIUM FABRIC, DURABLE CONSTRUCTION – Forget those felt shoe storage that rip and tear easily....
- VERTICAL STORAGE: Keep your shoes neat, tidy and free from scratches and scuffing; The durable,...
- SPACE SAVING: Add function and style to your organizational needs, and get your shoes off the floor;...
- VERSATILE & COMPACT: Ideal for footwear, but these are also great for other accessories and...
- Stores up to 12-20 pairs of shoes, Additional bottom storage for slippers.
- Sturdy metal construction with washable 600 D polyester fabric, each shelf holding up to 30 lbs.
- Easy Assembly Personalized Storage: You can remove the panel to build into a 2-tier or 3-tier shoe...
Simple rope-style RV shoe storage
Great space organizations can come from something so simple such as ropes, cords, or cables. This shoe caddy is cheap, easy to make, and useful to hold shoes in place when the RV is moving.
Pipe-style RV shoe storage
This type of shoe rack can be easily made using PVC pipes. It’s cheap, robust, and customizable. Moreover, you can quickly move the shoes altogether if you want to.
Minimalist pocket RV shoe storage
- 24 clear pockets hanging shoe organizer
- Hangs on standard door or closet rod, no hardware needed
- Protects shoes or items from dust and damage
This shoe storage design is not only easy to make but also offers extra protection for the shoes. The only thing to decide is the material to use. It can vary from fabric to rubber
RV shoe hanger
A basic clothes hanger can also serve as shoe storage. It offers more flexibility to place it wherever possible. However, remember that not all shoes, boots, and slippers have straps to hang with.
- Size: Approxi. 19.5x7cm/7.7x2.7in(Unfold) 11*7 cm/4.3x(Fold)
- The hook makes you hang the shoes onto the rack easily and it holds them safely.
- Hooks may hang on each other for even more storage. Clothes and shoes. space-saving compact and...
Wicker basket RV shoe storage
A wicker basket can also be excellent storage for shoes. It not only serves as the place for your shoes, boots, and slippers but also be able to hide your shoes in plain sight. It’s useful if you want to keep everything clean and tidy.
- SET OF FOUR: Set of 4 multi-purpose organization and storage baskets
- MULTIPLE USE: Great for storing a range of items including clothing, accessories, beauty products,...
- 100% SEAGRASS: Natural woven seagrass with wire frame and insert handles
4. RV basement storage ideas
Similar to the household basement, the RV basement also doesn’t take up the living area of the RV. However, since there are many necessary equipment and tools that need to be stored in it, the basement also needs the proper space arrangement. Here are our top RV basement storage ideas.
Vertical RV basement storage
Always go for the vertical arrangement if possible. Storing things vertically in the RV basement can save a lot of space. Moreover, having thin panels to separate different types of items can help to organize them neatly and hold them steadily.
RV basement ceiling utilization
The top part of the RV basement is usually left unused, even though you already store the items vertically. With help from some tapes and clips, the basement can fit more items inside. However, it needs to be firmly attached since the basement shakes a lot during road trips.
Hollow RV basement storage
Keeping the basement storage hollow can make it easier to move the items in and out. This will be useful, especially when there are some heavy items or equipment inside. You can push the heavy and hard to reach items from the other side of the RV basement.
RV basement storage drawer
This small modification of basic RV basement storage can help a lot. The slider will help to move heavy belongings more easily. Therefore, it can save time and energy when traveling.
Lit-up RV basement storage
This is another small modification to make your RV-living more fun. By adding lightings, the inside of the basement can be seen clearly without using your flashlight. This can be really helpful when you need to take something from the basement at night, and your flashlight ran out of battery.
5. RV storage organization ideas
Apart from choosing the design, an RV storage also needs to be appropriately used to maximize its potential. With the correct use and placement, you can double the space efficiency. Here are our favorite RV storage organization ideas.
Stainless steel nesting pots and pans
Instead of buying different kitchen utensils at different places, you can choose to buy one set of nesting pans and pots instead. It’s excellent to keep kitchen utensils and appliances organized in the limited storage space. It’s perfect for most RV storage sizes.
- QUICK TO HEAT STAINLESS STEEL: Cookware features full cap bases with stainless steel layered over...
- CONIC STYLE: Comfortable handles with iconic styling provide a confident grasp and stainless steel...
- DISHWASHER SAFE: Dishwasher safe (nonstick frying pans excepted) for easy cleanup
Collapsible dish tub
- VERSATILE BASIN: The Collapsible Dish Tub is perfect for washing dishes, cleaning floors and more....
- DISHWASHER SAFE: This portable, collapsible dish tub features raised feet that allow water to flow...
- MANY USES: Take it camping to use as a dish tub, use it as a drink carrier at your tailgate party,...
Every RV needs at least one dish tub to wash dishes or to put fruits. The standard dish tubs might take more space than the collapsible ones. The collapsible dish tubs can shrink as flat as 1.6 inches. Therefore, make sure to bring them to your road trips to save storage space.
Similar to the collapsible dish tubs, this one can also shrink flat. If you plan to cook pasta or to wash vegetables, you might need to bring at least one of these collapsible colanders. They are handy and don’t need a lot of space.
- Cleaning, preparation and service-these quality filters and colanders allow you to wash, rinse,...
- Includes two sizes of coasters-8 and 9.5 inches in diameter. You can prepare two foods at the same...
- Space-saving design-Each foldable colander filter can be pushed into just 2 inches in height, making...
Compared to the standard wastebasket, this one will save the floor space. It can also be hung inside the cabinets to avoid the smelly RV kitchen. Not only it reduces clutter, but it also hides the smell.
- OVER THE CABINET STORAGE: Wire over the cabinet storage basket with chrome finish is perfect to...
- SAFE BACKING: Non absorbing foam backing to protect cabinets from scratching
- OPTIMIZE STORAGE: Maximize bottom swing-open cabinet space with extra storage
Removable counter space
Some people feel that the space of an RV kitchen is not big enough to cook comfortably. This removable counter space can be an excellent idea for them to apply. It can be removed when it’s not needed to save space.
- Adds valuable counter space
- Measures 19 1/2" x 17" by 3/4" thick
- Solid oak finish
Under-the-sink space organizer
There is actually a thing called the adjustable under-sink storage system. This product will help to utilize the unused space under the RV kitchen sink. Although it’s beneficial, we encourage you to carefully choose the right items to put in that damp space.
- USPTO Patent USD721904
- Stackable Sliding Basket provides an easy way to access
- Fit well into cabinet to increase the organize capabilities
Related : RV Upgrade Ideas
In conclusion, storage is an integral part of an RV to ensure the fun road trip experiences. We hope that all the RV storage tips we provided and the design ideas we recommended can help you create your ideal RV. Because, an ideal RV can make you feel at home wherever you travel.