RV Steps – The step is an integral part of the RV. At times, the distance between the ground and your RV can be uncomfortable to climb up and down. Enter and exit your RV safely and reach tough places in RV with steps.
However, before ordering or building the steps, you need to consider the type because each type provides a different visual appeal. Below we put some RV steps ideas that might help you to consider.
RV Steps Ideas
There are several types that are commonly used. However there are some types of steps that are specifically designed for RV. Here are some steps that are popular among RVers.
Our Recommendation List
- ADDED STABILITY — Built with an extra-wide top step, aluminum step treads and adjustable legs that...
- EASY STORAGE — When you’re ready to hit the road, all you have to do is fold your Solid Step up...
- OPTIMAL SAFETY — Recessed feet at the bottom of the step help prevent tripping hazards — plus,...
- EASY IN & OUT RV: Folding adjustable step stool with full metal construction, The right step for...
- [Adjustable & Adaptable] 3 levels of height for adjustment:17-23cm/7-9".Adjust gears, adapt to your...
- SECURE YOUR SAFETY - With anti-slip pads for stability. DEPSUNNY's non-slip gripper strips design...
- STABILITY AND SAFETY - The StepAbove allows you to enter and exit your trailer more safely with legs...
- QUICK RELEASE LEG ADJUSTMENT - An industry first! Allows for easy adjustment of your step legs to...
- GRADUAL STEP SLOPE - The redesigned step slope is much more like a residential step and allows for...
- Triple step
- 24" Width x 7" Rise
- Compact design allows user to expand and collapse step with one hand
Related : RV Dining Table Ideas
Adjustable Leg RV Platform Step
Generally, the adjustable leg RV platform step made of aluminum alloy with adjustable legs that are slip proof. This can be used to get a better look under the hood or bridge the gap from the RV step to the ground.
- Stromberg Carlson Adjustable Leg Aluminum Platform Step
- Aluminum platform step is lightweight, durable, and will not rust
- This amazing aluminum platform has rubber feet that won't slip, and can support up to 1,000 pounds;...
Foldable RV Steps
RV folding step is the least expensive and a hassle-free option for an RV step. Since this type of step resembles a stool, this can be folded when in use and folded back when not in use.
- Measures 19 inch x 14 inch x 3 inch or 8 inch . Works at two heights 3" (folded legs) and 8"...
- Supports 1,000 pounds and is made from light weight aluminum
- Light weight aluminum will not rust
Porch Style RV Steps
Typically, the porch style RV step is built with handrails. This type of step is the most sturdy option for RV Steps. Thus, this is the perfect choice for kids and elderly people.
- Light weight stairs manufactured from heavy gauge aluminum for maximum strength and durability
- Easy to use
- Universal mounting applications
Solid Plastic Box RV Steps
This type of step is highly durable making it the perfect choice for RV. Since this kind of step is made of solid piece of durable high quality plastic, it has no moving parts. Solid plastic step are available in 2 step and 3 step model making it easy to use and easy to store when not in use.
- Portable, with built in handle for easy lifting
- Capacity of 350 lbs.
- More Than Just Parts: From snow and ice equipment to toolboxes, hydraulics, towing, truck and...
How to Measure Morryde Step?
Morryde Step is one of the best choices for RV steps. It’s known for its solid and sturdy step. However, before you order the step, you need to figure out if it fits your application by reading the manual RV steps. Below we put some on how to measure morryde step to help you ensure you’ll have an easy application before you order it.
Related : RV Bathtub Best Ideas
First, make sure the unit is level.
Afterwards, measure the height from the top of the threshold to the ground. For a 3-step, the height will be 30” to 34” high and for a 4-step the height will be 38” to 42”
After you measured the height, time to measure the outside width of the door. The StepAbove with fit doors with 26”, 27”, 30” and 32”.
If you have a screen door with a storm window, remove a small section of the door to allow the steps to lock in place. It’s because these types of doors are typically thicker.
In addition, if the door has a strut to keep it from opening all the way, it also needs to be removed because otherwise the step will hit the door.
Furthermore, if the lip of the door jamb has a trim on the back side, it needs to be notches.
Make sure the skirting below the threshold that surrounds the existing step doesn’t stick out more than ¾”.
Lastly, if you purchase the optional handrail, or if there is anything on the left hand side of the unit closer than 33”, then the handrail will need to be removed.
How to Build Free Standing Steps With Stringers?
Building a step seems like hard work. However, diy RV step actually is not as hard as it might seem. Below we put some simple and easy steps on how to build free standing steps with stringers.
Related : RV Generator Choices
Step 1: Prepare The Tools and Supplies
Before starting to build anything, the first thing you need to do is prepare everything you will use. The tools you need to prepare are handsaw, hammer, 16d nails, framing square, pencil, tape measure, circular saw, jigsaw, nail gun, stair gauge, board bender, string line and chop saw.
Step 2: Do the Math
After you have every tools and supplies you need, it’s time to do the math and measurements. The average tread height is 7 inches, while the average tread depth is 10.5 inches. There will be 3 stringers on the stairs and each one is made of a single piece of 2×12 that gives the stairs the strength. The outside stringers will be 36 inches, thus you will need 2 2x6x26 pieces that will be used as a header and footer. The legs need a piece of 2×6 across the bottom to keep them even and spread out. Also, the reads will be made of 2×12’s and an inch overhang on each side of the stringers. For the handrails cut the 2×6 for the baluster.
Step 3: Time to set up
After you figure out the perfect measurement, it’s time to set up the framing square. It will be a lot easier if you have the stair gauges, because they lock into place. However, make sure you don’t put the gauge right on the measurement. Put them a little bit off set to the outside so you can fill the measurement onto the board. Afterwards, it’s time to lay out the stringers. Take the square and put the 7 side at the left and the 10.5 on the right side. Then, put it on the 2×12 as far to the left and mark the outside of the square. Afterwards, take the mark from the 7 side and carry it straight across the rest of the way.
Step 4: Cut the treads
Do not cut past the line if you are cutting the reads with a circular saw. After you cut out everything on the stringers, cut the let in on the leg. Make sure to make the let in the right size for it and the right side of the leg.
Step 5: Nailing
Make sure to put three 16D nails in each 2×6 at the bottom. Then, flip the stringers open after you nail all of them. Afterwards, lay out all the treads you cut on the stringers. Use 3 nails in each stringer when you put the treads on and then add legs onto it. Make sure the let ins face the inside when you put the legs on. When you are nailing them together, nail one side and then nail from the opposite direction wit4 2 nails on each side.
Step 6: Put It All Together
After you get it standing, do the cross bracing on the perpendicular legs. Take a tape measure from one top side to the bottom. Then, cut the angle for it, or you can take a 2×4 and mark it and cut 2 of them. There are two ways to build the handrails. You can add a piece of wood to the stringer and nail it. Or, cut it into the step and nail it straight to the stinger. The number of balusters you need depends on the number of step you build. If you want to cut the baluster into the step, find the middle of the step and measure half a 2×6 on either side of it. Afterward, take the piece and flush it to the bottom of the stringer.
Step 7: Finishing
After doing all of the steps above, finally it’s ready to use.
Best RV Steps
When choosing RV steps, the choices are endless. However, not all steps will appropriate for your needs or your RV. Therefore, we make a list of the best RV steps to help you figure out what’s fit for your RV
Stromberg Carlson EHS-102-R Park Model Econo Porch 2-Step
This step by Stromberg is sturdy and equipped with a landing that is large enough to turn around if needed. Depending on the set up, the handrail can be easily changed from side to side. The steps are 7 inch rise and the top is 20 inches. Just place it up next to the door and move the handrail to the other side. This step works for RV that has clear space in the front door. The sturdy step is about 50 lbs and highly durable with a thick paint.
- Easy Assembly required
- Weight limit – 300 lbs. | Weight – 55 lbs.
- Interchangeable handrail for left or right-hand usage
MOR/Ryde International STP-4-30-03H Fold 4 Step 30” Door
This step is a great choice if it fits your RV since it’s a well-built product. This Morryde step is very solid and can be folded up nicely. This step is equipped with adjustable feet and easy to change just by pulling a pin. It also locks on the door frame, thus, it provides stability when going up and down the stairs. This cool step is also pet-friendly, therefore you don’t need to worry if you are bringing your pet with you. However, you are supposed to check their official website and download the qualifier before ordering the step. They provide a worksheet to figure out if the steps will fit for the application. This well-designed step is easy to install and only need a few screws to secure it.
- Stable entry to and exit from your RV
- Dimensions: Step Height - 36.5"-42" | Step Rise - 8" | Door Width - 30" | Door Width, Size from...
- Stores securely right inside the door.Do not try to lift the steps while the door is closed. This...
Stromberg Carlson PA-202 Aluminum Step Stool
This foldable step weighs 3 pounds and has 330 lb. weight capacity. They are constructed with lightweight aluminum and has a slip-resistant step surface. When is use, it’s 15.5” high and 11.5” wide. When folded, I’s only 7” deep, 17.5” high and 12” wide, making it easy to store. The dimension of this step is 15 x 18 x 7 inches.
- 330 lb. weight capacity
- Lightweight aluminum construction
- Slip-resistant step surface
Lippert 432687 RV Triple Entry 24”
This triple radius manual entry step is another great option for RVs and horse trailers. This Lippert RV step is perfect to use for towable RV application. The rise between step is 7” and it is 24” wide tripe radius steel. Furthermore, the powder-coated components are rust-prohibitive. This cool item weight is 57 pounds and the dimension is 29.5 x 18 x 15.8 inches.
- Triple step
- 24" Width x 7" Rise
- Compact design allows user to expand and collapse step with one hand
VaygWay Thule Car Tire Step
This tire-mounted auto step is very sturdy and highly durable. This Vaygway is specifically designed for RV, and is great for working on engines or cleaning inaccessible spots. Furthermore, it securely supports up to 400 lbs. Since it’s primarily designed for RVs, the step is handy, compactable and easy to use, allowing RVers to work in the garage or pack the step for camping. When not in use you can fold the step, making it easy to store.
Camco Adjustable Height Aluminum Platform Step
Another great choice we have for you is this camco…. This step is constructed with strong aluminum with non-slip rubber fit. They are very sturdy, easy to clean and also easy to put und down. Moreover, the legs are extremely easy to adjust, and locks securely open. The adjustable legs allow for quick adaptation to the uneven ground This well-made step is very compact, perfect to use in a Class B motorhome which has limited storage space. The step capacity is up to 1000 pounds and provides a great stability with the grip tape that allows a secure footing.
- Provides Additional Height: Offers up to 9-inches of additional height and supports up to 1,000 lb.
- Adjustable Height: Height adjusts from 7 ½-inches to 9-inches for leveling on uneven surfaces
- Ideal Size: Platform measures 19-inches x 14 ½-inches; Durable Construction: Constructed of durable...
Quick Products JQ-S150 Platform Step
This folding step is constructed of power coated steel. It’s 7”5 high and has wide foot stance, provides unmatched support and stability. The rubber gripping feet on each leg of the step ensure it stays where it is placed. Furthermore, this solid and well-built step is big enough so you don’t need to worry about missing the step. Since it’s foldable, the step is very easy to store.
- 300 lbs. capacity
- Full safety grip surface
- 7.5" tall (fully extended)
Pr1me 19” x 12 “ RV Folding Step
This sturdy step can hold up to 440 lbs and equipped with non-slip grips at the bottom. The step is 19” long and 12” wide. It’s easy to fold away and lock design to ensure convenient portability. This foldable step is equipped with rubber and anti-slip grips. This product weight is 6 pounds and the dimension is 18.7 x 11.8 x 2.8 inches.
- Maximum Load 600lbs Sturdy construction, bottom reinforced with non-slip grips
- Platform Measures: 19" Length x 12" Width
- Easy fold away and lock design. Opens and closes in seconds for convenient portability
Safety RV Step Stool 19” x 14.5”
This extra stable step provides stability with 19” x 14.5” platform. Constructed of tubular aluminum, the step also features non-slip gripper strips on the platform to ensure you will not slip when you step on it. Furthermore, the four legs with rubber feet make the step stool stand stable on the ground. Although it’s lightweight, this sturdy step can support up to 1500 lbs. In addition, it’s also easy to storage and transport, making it perfect for RV. Most importantly, the step is highly convenient, which is suitable for children and elderly people to get in and out of your RV.
- EXTRA STABLE: This adjustable height folding platform step stool offers a 16.5" x 12.2 " platform...
- ENHENCED SAFETY: This Adjustable Height Folding platform step stool features tubular steel with...
- STURDY&PORTABLE：Although the Adjustable Height Folding platform step is lightweight it can...
Quick Products QP-ASS101
This solid and strong step is perfect for entering your RV or to reach any place where you need an extra step. It is constructed of lightweight corrosion-resistant aluminum and the push pin leg locks each leg securely in an extended position. In addition, this sturdy step can hold up to 400 lb weight capacity.
- Perfect for entering your RV or anywhere you need an extra step
- Lightweight aluminum construction
- Push-pin leg securely locks each leg in the extended position
Kwikee 362261 Classic 32 Series Step
This Kwikee RV step is constructed of heavy-gauge steel and black powder-coated which make it a highly durable step. This strong step can support up to 300 lbs weight capacity. In addition, this step is equipped with solid steel drive roads and stainless steel bushing and also sealed wiring connectors stand up to the element. This product weight is 60 pounds with 25.2 x 32.2 x 13.6 inches dimension.
- Supports up to 300 lbs.
- Heavy-gauge steel and black powder-coated finish for long-lasting durability
- Solid steel drive rods and stainless steel bushings
Step is one of the must-have items for RV. Therefore, when purchasing a step, make sure it fits your application perfectly. We hope our article can help you figure out which step can meet your needs.
Can you add a step to your RV steps?
You can easily add or remove a step with the GlowStep Revolution RV steps. Adding or removing steps is easy — simply unbolt the lower steps to remove or add the step, then re-bolt the two parts together.